Thursday, November 1, 2012

Star Wars Saved?

I put up this post a few days ago about the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney.

Here is an excellent article about why this sale may have saved Star Wars and what George Lucas really thinks about his franchise. 

I was going to write something about this myself, but this article does a better job than I could. My interest in the topic is mostly about why the prequels suck and how could Lucas do such a poor job on them. The theory, mentioned in the article and one that I have heard before, is that Lucas had lots of help and advice on the first 3 movies. However, by the time of the prequels he was this movie making God and no one felt they could question him. If you watch the behind the scenes stuff on the prequel DVD's, there is one interview where Lucas is talking about how great the prequels will be. He is talking about Jar-Jar and waxing lyrical about these great ideas which will come to be universally regarded as crap. The camera pans around the room, which is filled with other key people from his team, and the look on their faces says it all. It is obvious they think the ideas are crap but are afraid to say anything.

I am going to have to read The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment